Thursday, April 30, 2009

So much time!

An odd complaint. And one I try to keep quiet since my poor husband has recently lost all of his time to various responsibilities and assignments. So I rejoice in my good fortune and present to you the various ways in which I have broadened my horizons:

1) Homemade Laundry Detergent-

This simple and cost effective recipe is from Katydidandkid.blogspot.com

1 Cup grated Fels-Naptha soap
1/2 Cup Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
1/2 Cup 20 Mule Team Borax

You can get all of the ingredients at your grocery store. But, I suggest getting the Borax at Walmart where it is significantly less expensive. I also suggest doubling the recipe. Four cups isn't a lot to store and you benefit from making it half as often and from only dirtying one measuring cup. You only need 2 T for a regular load. I had an old plastic measuring spoon that I stuck in my detergent as a scoop.



2) Homemade Granola (Mmmm)

This is some seriously tasty stuff and it is seriously easy to make. I got the recipe from providentliving.org

6 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup raisins or other dried fruit
1 cup coconut
1 cup nuts, chopped
1/3 cup sesame seeds

Mix all ingredients except raisins. Stir in and coat thoroughly with: 1/2 cup oil, 1/3 cup honey, 2 tsp. vanilla. Spread on cookie sheet and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Add raisins or other dried fruit and bake 5 more minutes.



3) "Couponing"

This was recommended to me by my sister-in-law, and then again by a friend of my mom's. So, over the last week I decided to get started. It is amazing how much money you can save, especially on things that you will always have to buy more of (buy it when you can get the deal, and then have it on hand). I got all of this:



Regular prices on everything add up to $170.23. But, with discounts, coupons, rewards, and rebates, I got everything for $54.49! The following items were all free. The items on the left were free after discount and coupon, and the items on the right were free after rebate:

3 comments:

Squishy Burrito said...

I can not tell you how proud I am and how pleased that somebody is listening to me. :) You will get addicted my friend.

my word verification was: copme

I'm not kidding.

Amy and Spencer said...

Great idea! Does the laundry detergent have a smell to it?

CValentine said...

Yeah, it smells like whatever soap you put in (Fels-Naptha for me)