Sunday, April 12, 2009

I've been...cooking?

That's right. I spent all week going back and forth to the grocery store and trying out random recipes.

I think I am experiencing a minor identity crisis. My work seems to be feast or famine (currently famine). But I'm not willing to get a menial, work-for-peanuts job just because things are slow. I love what I do and I like the freedom of being otherwise uncommitted so I can accept work when it comes. But, sometimes that leaves me with quite a bit of free time. Which begs the question, "What should I do?" The only things I ever thought I would do are work and be a mom, neither of which seem to be in the cards right now.

In an attempt to answer questions like, "Who am I?" and "What do I do," I've been brainstorming ways I can productively use my time. Cooking seemed like a good idea. I'm not a good cook, and I haven't done a lot of cooking, but I could be a good cook, and I could do a lot of cooking. And since Mark has been working late a lot, I thought it would be nice if I took over some of the meal preparation. If you know me at all, you know that I can do great things with eggs and pasta, but that's about it. (I can't even make decent cookies.) But I am trying to turn a new leaf. All I need is a little practice, right? I think I can do it. Last night I made these Butterscotch Bars. And they were delicious! I'm convinced it's a good omen.

If anyone has any beginner-dinner ideas, I'd love to hear them...

5 comments:

Laurel said...

I want one. Well, not a stale week-old one so don't bother saving anything, but just so you know how delicious your picture looks, I want one.

Unknown said...

Ditto Laurel.

I am a mom and I still have those questions (see my every-three-month blog posts on "who am I? what should I do?" for the proof).

So, so, so excited to see you tomorrow!

Squishy Burrito said...

When I get a second I will email you a list of ideas and you can tell me if you want any of the recipes. I'm not sure if I should take it as an insult that my husband told me about your post and said it was "right up my alley". He said "no" but I'm still debating.

Laus said...

You should check out Jessie's linked site from her blog with recipes. Some of them are really easy and good and some are just easy like Sloppy Joes for 2.

mav said...

This takes like 10 minutes on a Sunday morning, but ends up being a delicious, full Sunday dinner. It is one of my hub's fave dinners and dresses up well for company too.

1 2-3 lb pot roast (chuck or round)
3 large potatoes, chopped
1 bag baby carrots (or chop 3 large carrots)
1 large onion, chunked or sliced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper (some use onion soup mix)
1/2 c water or beef broth

Put veggies in bottom of crockpot. salt and pepper meat, then place in pot on top of veggies. Add liquid. Cover and cook on low 10-12 hours, or high 5-6 hours.