Sunday, November 9, 2008

My new client


I got an email last week from an attorney in Chicago asking for my help with some research. The city of Chicago wants to put in a new runway at O'Hare airport, which means bulldozing a 150 year old German-American protestant cemetery. The church is trying to prevent the city's proposed destruction of the cemetery. Their latest effort involves locating as many descendants of the interred as possible and providing them with legal representation in opposing the runway plan. This is where my expertise with German-American protestant church records comes in quite handy. I am conducting descendency research within the records of the church and forwarding my data to a couple of due-diligence/heir searching researchers from New York that I selected to do the work of actually locating and contacting the living descendents.

This is an amazing opportunity for me because I am specifically trained and qualified to do the work, I can work from my home computer, I can put in as many hours as I want (the more the better actually because the research could get cut off by the court at any moment), and it will be a great addition to my CV. So, wish us luck. Hopefully, we can save a cemetery.

5 comments:

Britley said...

That sounds like a really neat project. Don't you find it interesting that they don't let anyone stay in their graves very long in parts of Europe, either a set time or using the plot as a rental? Especially compared to how much we value cemeteries?

CValentine said...

It's ironic isn't it. I think it has to do with the fact that we have more space than they do. Plus, we have more disposable income with which to obsess about honoring our dead.

CINDI said...

Very exciting! This time you are actually looking for live people and not dead people.

Cassie said...

Like Father Like Daughter.
Forensic Accountant, Forensic Geneologist. Well done!

Laus said...

Yea for new clients!!