Sunday, June 7, 2009

WARNING...

...lots of pictures!

There are quite a few I have neglected to post. So, let's play catch up:

In April, Emma, Mom, Evelyn, and I went to Kansas together to visit Evelyn's maternal-maternal great-grandma and grandpa. She loved the farm. "Ouside, ouside" is apparently quite a novelty for city kids. Here she is playing. For those of you who knew my siblings and me as children, who does that look like? Scratch that. Anyone can play...it's not that hard.

Here she is playing her new favorite game, "giddily jog down the length of the feed trough."

Emma and Evelyn spent some time in St. Louis with Mark and me before flying back to the city. Em and I took her to Kirkwood to visit...

...OUR CHILDHOOD HOME. Well, one of them, anyway.

A few weeks later, my dear friend, Amy, came to visit. We picked her up at the airport and drove straight to St. Charles to buy a piece of furniture I fell in love while antiquing with my mom a few days earlier (pictures coming soon). Then we made her run various additional errands with us. In order to convince her that visiting us would actually be fun, Mark made crepes! We had additional friends over and made quite the evening out of it.



During her stay, Amy and I drove up to Nauvoo. She has attended two Barrett weddings in Nauvoo, but hadn't ever had much opportunity for sight seeing. So I indulged her.





(We MADE that rope! I hopped up a down a couple times to show off my jump-roping skills. Result: a throbbing headache. It was a sunny day.)

Once back in good 'ole StL, we went to the botanical gardens.

Don't knock the umbrella. It was a sunny day. Seriously, though, I heard this kid ask his mom, "Why does that lady have an umbrella?" Humiliating.

We went to the arch as well, but refrained from standing in a long line to cram ourselves in an antique pod elevator that would take us to the top of the arch, a vantage point from which you can't actually see the arch.

Instead we stayed on the ground and took pictures. In the following picture it almost looks like you could wrap your arms around the base of the arch...

...but, really, you can't.

I know, I know...it's cheesy:



And of coarse, we spent some quality time with Mark as well. He made baguettes and needed a couche. The only other preface I will give to these pictures is that we are dorks, and Mark used to have a plain white tee:







9 comments:

JV said...

Careen, please bring your camera (and your skill) to the whitewater trip. Your pictures are the best!

Jessie Evans said...

Yay! I loved the update and all the fun photos. I have the same pictures of me/others at the Nauvoo statues too. And I love Nauvoo. And I love you. And maybe I should come visit because it sure looks like you showed Amy a good time.

CINDI said...

If I come visit will Mark teach me how to make crepes? Love the pictures - good subjects helps.

Erika Wittorf Site said...

Impressive blog post. I wish you blogged more often :-)

Amy and Spencer said...

I love it!

CINDI said...

Oh, and I know who the first picture of Evelyn looks like. Can I tell? I am going to anyway. That is a classic Laurel look on her face.

CValentine said...

very good, cindi...you are the winner!

Laus said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the poke-a-dot jacket Evelyn has on in the running down the trough pic. She's super adorable!

I hope you enjoyed the "craps" as much as Amy sounded like she did!

Mark shaved his head!! Rub it for good luck :)

Linz said...

Wow, the pictures are amazing! I must say you've done great at capturing Mark's personality in the last montage! It's like the magnet you can put on your fridge that tells you what mood you're in for the day!