Thursday, October 13, 2011

Boo boos

Dillon and I went for a walk in the neighborhood today. He was adventurous, and I encouraged it. But, being a wobbly 14 month old, he fell down a lot. When we got home, I noticed two little bloody places on his leg. One on his knee and the other on the front of his ankle. For the first time in his life, I got out the hydrogen peroxide and the cotton balls. I sat him in his big recliner and knelt on the floor in front of him. As I cleaned his little cuts, I remembered an important day in my life. It was five years ago. I sat on the edge of a bed and my mom knelt on the floor and rubbed Neosporin on my cuts. I was so broken that day. There was so much other pain that I couldn't feel the cuts. She pulled me out of a dark, dark place and helped me heal from all the emotional boo boos I had. It wasn't until she knelt down and rubbed Neosporin on me that I knew I was going to be ok. I'm so grateful for her, and for all the other people God has sent to help me heal from all of life's boo boos. And I am grateful to be a mother. I am grateful to be the one person in the world that can make my son feel safe. I am grateful to be the one he will turn to when life gives him boo boos. And even though it won't always help, I am grateful for hydrogen peroxide and Neosporin.

1 comment:

Laus said...

Moms really are the best!