Wednesday, October 5, 2011

How am I?

The purpose of this post is mostly therapy. So, feel free not to read it if you can't handle complaining. But, if you do read it, I would love any encouraging words you have to offer as I'm kind of in need of a lift.

I really hate when people use their blogs as a way to trick everyone into thinking that their lives are perfect. As if having other people think you have a better life than they, actually makes it true. To prove that's not what I'm about...

I'm having a miserable week. Dillon and I got home from Utah last Wednesday night. I was excited to see my friends and get out of the house. But, Dillon got croup/bronchiolitis/whatever-it-is...again. I missed half of General Conference (a series of biannual church meetings) because Dillon had to go to the pediatrician. I keep getting stuck with another pediatrician in the practice because we are last minute/weekend patients. She thinks I am an unfit mother because I didn't take Dillon to the Emergency Department before I came to her last time, and since I did the same thing this time. Last time, being a mother, I was trying not to overreact. This time, I knew he needed albuterol and a steroid, since that is all they did for him when we went the the ED before. She called me 4 times over the weekend to make sure I was being smart about if he needed to be hospitalized. Gee, I was just thinking that since the one thing that seems to calm his breathing is sleep, I would treat him at home where he could get some, instead of taking him to a hospital where he would sit bored and tired for hours, getting more and more worked up and less and less oxygen. But, what do I know? I am just his mother.

By the end of the month, we will have co-payed equivalent to our out of pocket costs for private insurance. And that doesn't take into account the hospital visit, the cost of which I don't know, but shudder to consider.

Dillon's breathing is much better, but he is in some sort of residual funk. He is starving all the time, but won't eat more than a few bites of anything, and can't seem to get full. He is drinking WAY too much, and I am concerned there may be something wrong with him to make him over-hydrate like this. Yesterday, he, not just cried, but screamed, for 5-6 hours. He was only awake for 9. If you've met Dillon, you know he's not just a brat. He's been uncomfortably constipated for several days, which makes the eating situation even more distressing for me. I want to give him what I know he will eat (milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, and mozzarella cheese) but know that too much dairy may constipate him worse. Since it was apparent there was nothing I could do for him, and since all I wanted to do was yell at him, or run away from home, I slammed myself into my room and turned up the music as loud as I could stand it. He climbed up and down the stairs of our three level house 2-3 times looking for me. Then he gave up the search, but not the screaming, and stood in the middle of the second floor. Just stood there, screaming, until I felt I was ready to emerge. This definitely made me feel like a better mother. Definitely.

On top of all this, I am terribly lonely. Mark has been incredibly busy. I haven't seen anyone and I can't see anyone, because everyone has a child that could contract whatever Dillon has. And since we don't really know what he has, we don't really know for how long he is contagious. After three weeks in Ohio, home briefly with a sick Dillon, then a week in Utah, then home again with a sick Dillon, I've been pretty out of the loop. I couldn't even go to church on Sunday, because it was General Conference. I sit at home all day imagining everyone getting together and having fun without me. It's very depressing and pathetic, and kind of makes me hate myself.

So, there you go. If you thought my life was perfect, now you know the truth.

Then again, I had a moment today when I remembered how much worse things could be. Dillon was snuggled up with me before his nap and I sang him this song:

Train whistle blowing,
Makes a sleepy noise;
Underneath their blankets
Go all the girls and boys.
Rocking, rolling, riding,
Out along the bay,
All bound for Morningtown,
Many miles away.

Dillon's at the engine,
Mommy rings the bell,
Daddy swings the lantern
To show that all is well.

Maybe it is raining
Where our train will ride;
All the little travelers
Are warm and snug inside.

Somewhere there is sunshine,
Somewhere there is day,
Somewhere there is Morningtown,
Many miles away.

The metaphor of the song changed and it became a lullaby for Mommy, reminding me that there is sunshine and day, and though it may be quite a rocking, rolling ride, I will reach my Morningtown. I also remembered to be grateful that we have a home, we have the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, our Dillon has a Mommy and a Daddy, and we have him. That is really all that matters. Everything else is just stuff.

10 comments:

alee said...

While I don't have anything super encouraging to say (sorry), I can say AMEN! Although I think we are just teething here, I am exhausted and lonely and everything else. So I guess at least you aren't alone!!! :)

Sarah McK said...

So sorry you're having such a rough time! Ok, first of all, you need to do whatever it takes to switch pediatricians. Go to a new practice altogether and start fresh. Our doctor was SO lovely and very sensitive and NEVER made me feel like I wasn't doing enough for Callum, even though he was the KING of sick and I never once took him to the ED. (We're talking, croup, strep throat at 9 months, fevers that got up to 104!!!!!, even pneumonia last year!) Parents are SUPPOSED to use the doctor as the first line of help, that's the whole point of having a primary care physician! Don't waste the ED's time if a pediatrician can handle it! Her name is Margaret Schmandt and she's at Forest Park Pediatrics. See if she'll take your insurance. If not still switch elsewhere. That doctor is ridiculous! If he needed to be hospitalized then she should have hospitalized him. Period. Otherwise, let it go, crazy lady.

If he is still sick then the hydration thing and the hunger thing sound normal. It sounds like what adults do when they're sick! Pump him with water instead of milk, because it's much better for constipation! Steer clear of dairy and sugary stuff when possible. Go for things like applesauce. Maybe even mix a mild laxative in with a little milk if that's what he wants to drive. I know Miralax is one that lots of kids use. (Owen Brown was the king of constipation, so you could ask Ann.)

I know how it feels to be stuck inside with a sick baby because I so often was. It sucks BIG time! You can still take him on walks and things, which at this point would be better than nothing for you! And don't worry for a second about hiding in your room. We have to do what we have to do to stay sane and calm enough not to shake our babies. He would have cried regardless of whether you were out there or not, so it really didn't change anything except that you were able to calm down. We ALL have to do that every once in a while! Good luck, honey! Get a new doctor!!!!

Sarah McK said...

** I meant drink, not drive. :)

Amber said...

I don't usually comment, but I feel for you! Having a sick baby is never fun. And it is very isolating especially if hubby is not home much.
A few ideas to help with the on your own time: Get a good escapist novel (I just read A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute), go to places like a grocery store and wander around (bring antibacterial wipes and wipe down the cart before and after you use it), take walks through the neighborhood if possible, etc.
If he's drinking tons and not eating much, I agree that it's probably just because he feels cruddy. With him being so fussy, does he have an ear infection or something causing him pain? Since crying like that is so far off of his normal, I would definitely be giving him ibuprofen or tylenol regularly to help out with whatever pain he's having.
Hang in there. Call family and friends for talk therapy. I hope your little cutie feels better soon!

Jennifer said...

Any pediatrician who tells a good parent that they are unfit is counter productive and really ought to know better. Your choices with Dillon sound completely sensible. I say get a better doctor, one who encourages and uplifts you, and gives you strength to carry on. You are good, you are sweet, you are blessed. I told you a little of my frustrations as a Mom, we all have days and even weeks on end like those. When I do, I call my Mom, cry and complain, then I put in my ear plus.

Laus said...

Oh sweet Careen! You actually sound like you're handling it completely wonderful--at least the best way I've ever dealt with it. I agree with Sarah McK, find a new doctor. And don't think I'm not coming in a week...please don't pick up, we can clean together...and you can take my kids out while I listen to D cry. :)

Tiff, Adam, Lily, Gemma and Linus said...

Careen, I could do a check list of all that you said in your post--seriously--so know that you fit right in with the rest of us. And I'm the same way about blogs (not that I've blogged in, like, 8 months...It sounds like things are getting better now, hopefully.

Adam said...

I really appreciate the "rawness" of this post. I think we are often reluctant to be this real and honest with ourselves as it can leave us feeling vulnerable. But I think we would all be in a better place and would better be able to relate to and help one another if we were to follow your example. Thanks for sharing.

Tori said...

Okay, you have a million super sweet friends who have commented promptly during your stressful time, which was several weeks ago. I, however, am the worst at this blogging lifestyle. I'm either weeks late on updates, or I miss them completely! Anyway, you're a wonderful mommy, and you need to remember that. I've never considered that girls are getting together without me, and leaving me out (does that make me super self-centered?), but I'm pretty sure there's not much going on each day. At least nothing that I'm aware of! Ha! I understand and experience your daily frustrations however, so I would love if you would call me any time that you feel the least bit lonely or sad. Whenever I feel inadequate or totally out of control in my life, I find comfort in imagining the reality of my friends' and peers' lives- constantly cleaning up after our families, trying to stay on top of responsibilities in and outside of the home, all while nurturing our own personal growth and needs.

Moms rock! Love you Careen!

Danelle said...

Haha! I'm even later than Tori at reading this post! Sarah's comment about Dr. Schmandt made me happy that she is our ped (for A). I'm sorry that your doc and nurse are making you feel like a bad mommy. What is up with that? Sounds like they only have one mode at doing things and everyone has to follow their rules to the letter or they are labeled as bad parents. I hope your situation has since improved with the health care peeps, whether you've stayed or left. And I hope that Dillon has given you lots of good days to offset these bad ones. Blerg, I know how you can just feel terrible about letting them cry when you need a moment. My mom helped me realize that when I feel terrorized by my baby, sometimes the safest place for her is in the crib while I take a little breather. I still feel horrible while I'm doing it (leaving the baby in the crib for 15 min.), so I guess we'll always feel guilty as moms, but if I really need a break from the crying baby, then I should take one so I can come back and be a better mom. Also, A is always happy to see me come back. She doesn't remember the times I've just let her cry alone. I don't think you are not doing any emotional damage to your child. (Maybe once they are three or so, the story might be different. I guess we'll just send them to time out then?) Anyway, anyone that saw that awesome Superman costume cannot say that you are a bad mother. Mothers who neglect, abuse, or ignore their children are bad mothers, and we all take good care of our kiddos! Kudos to you!